Normal vs. Abnormal Daily Hair Loss

Some hair loss or shedding of hair every day is normal for both men and women. We average 150,000 to 200,000 of hair on our scalps. Blondes generally have the most number of hairs followed by brunettes and then redheads.

At any given time, about 90 percent of your scalp hair is in the anagen stage (growing cycle) that lasts between 2 and 6 years. The remaining 10 percent of scalp hair is in the catagen stage stage (intermediate cycle) for 1 to 2 weeks before entering the telogen stage (resting cycle) which occurs over 5 to 6 weeks.

Conventional wisdom has indicated that the hair loss of 100 to 125 hairs a day is normal. However, recent research has shown that when cleansing daily, hair loss of more than 50 hairs per day may be excessive and an early indication of a thinning or hair loss problem.

Obviously, hair must be replaced at the same rate as its daily hair loss to maintain existing hair density. And, following the telogen stage, it will take about 9 months for the dermal papilla’s cells to produce new anagen hair.

A new anagen stage hair first appears as shallowly rooted vellus hair. If protected, the new anagen hair matures into a stronger, deeper rooted terminal hair. It is crucial to new hair development that the follicle stays open and clean during this stage. Conventional hair care and styling products often contain sticky animal proteins and resins that weigh down fragile, thin or fine hair and often fill or block the follicle.

This prevents the new anagen hair from getting oxygen and the nutrients necessary for healthy growth. Hair loss could occur by blocking the follicle which has the potential to prevent new fragile hair from coming through the skin. The key is to keep the follicle clean and free of debris so that new anagen hair can grow and mature into fuller, thicker, stronger, healthier and longer-lasting terminal hair.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Log In

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?